Wednesday 21 March 2012

Internet Safety Talk

Last Week, before we headed off to the Braveforce assault course, we listened to a talk telling us about all the internet risks, and ways to use the internet safely. I have to say it scared the bejasus out of me! I walked out of that room terrified that there was a group of conspirators, hacking into all of my internet and computer history, plotting to use all of the information against me. Any readers - don't let this give you any ideas! So apart from being completely terrified after, I have to say it was really helpful. You know the way you hear the stories but you always think 'it will never happen to me'? But after the talk I realised that it can happen to anyone unless you’re careful, and it’s not a good idea to just bury your head in the sand and hope nothing happens to you. You know what they say ‘Prevention is better than cure’! The man who gave the talk (I feel awful but I can't remember his name - we'll call him Paul), gave us a lot of helpful hints, to help keep you safe on the internet, which I will try my best to remember for you now:
• Try putting a sticker in front of your webcam when you’re not using it because it’s possible that they can be hacked without you knowing.
• Don’t have the same password for multiple online sites, as this makes it very easy for someone to access your online information.
• Try making your password more complicated by alternating between CAPITAL and normal letters, and ch4nge ťhĕ $УьǾŁş ¥Ǿu u$e as well, to make it trickier to hack.
That’s all for now, see you soon!

1 comment: