Thursday 19 April 2012

Swim a mile with a smile :)

I don't know what it is about Transition Year but we seem to be doing so much more excercise than I've ever done before! There was Bravforce, the Carlingford aventure weekend, and fast approaching this week is the Ian Daly Swim a Mile with a Smile :) ( too fast for my liking to be honest). The title pretty much explains it all, but basiclly we are going to swim a mile (yes a mile) for charity, and raise much needed awareness and funds for the cause.

 Ian Daly was a little boy who , from the age of 9 suffered from cancer, and eventually died. He was a great swimmer, and all the way through his sickness he was cheerful and optimistic, and the swim is basiclly remembering him, and raising money for organisations that really helped him through his illness. The money will be going to 2 charities - Barretstown , and Crumlin Hospital, both of which really help kids when they are going through such difficulties, and I plan to raise as much as I can for the cause. :)

 I'm full of enthusiasm , but I 'm kind of apprehensive for the actual swim - I mean I haven't swam properly in aaaages. A mile swimming is the same as 64 lengths of your average swimming pool, which doesn't sound so bad, but bearing in mind that we dont have much time, and there will be about 80 of us in about 3 lanes,all swimming at the same time,  and that the pool is going to be about 7 foot deep, then I think it's going to be quite a challenge! Still it's a really worthy cause, and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on - but don't hold your breath - my arms will probably be so tired I won't be able to do anything for a week! (actually that excuse might get me out of a lot of work - hmmmmm).  Anyway - best be off :) Oh but if you want to have a look at the work that Barretstown does - click HERE, it tries to give kids who have been sick , and stuck in hospital for months, a fun experience, so that they can play like kids again. It caters to all of Europe , so any funds raised are much welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment